Coal Age

DEC 2017

Coal Age Magazine - For more than 100 years, Coal Age has been the magazine that readers can trust for guidance and insight on this important industry.

Issue link: http://coal.epubxp.com/i/917376

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 11 of 51

10 www.coalage.com December 2017 news continued Spring Creek Recognized With Top National Reclamation Award Cloud Peak Energy, one of the largest U.S. coal producers and the only pure-play Powder River Basin (PRB) coal company, announced its Spring Creek mine, located near Decker, Montana, received the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSM) 2017 Excellence in Surface Coal Mining Reclamation Award for enhanced reclamation success through the diversity of topography, soil and vegetation. The award was presented at the National Mining Association's awards cer- emony in Washington, D.C., on November 6. Reclamation plans at the Spring Creek mine incorporate a va- riety of livestock grazing, pastureland and wildlife habitats into the post-mining environment. The mine's reclamation program utilizes a four-pronged approach to maximize post-mining diversity in designat- ed post-mine wildlife habitat areas, including an emphasis on hydrolo- gy, vegetation, substrate and topography. The advantages of a diverse post-mining landscape include improved grazing potential and wildlife use, according to Cloud Peak Energy. "We take great pride in reclaiming the land we mine," said Colin Marshall, president and CEO of Cloud Peak Energy. "This award high- lights the strong commitment of everyone at Spring Creek and Cloud Peak Energy to returning land to a condition as good if not better than before mining began, while meeting the post-mine land use that is essential to reclamation bond release." "The long-term benefits of the successful establishment of vegeta- tive diversity is exactly what reclamation should look like," added Dave Schwend, general manager of the Spring Creek mine. "The success of these practices at the Spring Creek mine provides a pathway for other mining operations. These reclamation methods utilized can be imple- mented at other mining operations throughout the west, thereby promot- ing the establishment of similarly productive and valuable habitats." In addition to the 2017 reclamation award, Cloud Peak Energy's Antelope and Cordero Rojo mines were also partners in the 2017 OSM Good Neighbor Award presented to the Thunder Basin Grasslands Prai- rie Ecosystem Association for the collaborative effort among colleagues (within and among mines), neighbors, lessees, government agencies and local agricultural producers to implement coordinated conserva- tion projects that reach beyond permit obligations to positively impact regional conservation efforts and land management decisions. NMA Hands Out Sentinels of Safety Officials of the National Mining Association (NMA), the U.S. National In- stitute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), the U.S Department of the Interior's Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE), and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), honored top safety, environmental and technology leaders in the mining industry. NMA's Sentinels of Safety Award recognizes coal operations for re- cording the most hours in a calendar year without a single lost-time inju- ry. A minimum of 4,000 hours is required for award consideration. Six coal mines were honored with the award recognizing performance in 2016. "2016 was the safest year in mining's history," said Hal Quinn, NMA president and CEO. "These awards are an important reminder that modern mining has made great strides to ensure the safety of all of our miners and, to continue this progress, our vigilance is required through each and every shift." Recipients include: Large Group Coal Processing Facility: Ceredo Dock – Kanawha River Terminals LLC Surface Coal: Freedom Mine – North American Coal Corp. Underground Coal: Bull Mountains Mine No. 1 – Signal Peak Energy LLC Small Group Coal Processing Facility: Midway Coal Handling Facility – Armstrong Coal Co, Inc. Surface Coal: Three Mile Mine No. 1 – CAM Mining LLC Underground Coal: Coon Cedar Grove Mine – Marfork Coal Co., LLC OSMRE 2017 winners include: National Award: Coal Mac, LLC (Arch Coal) Pine Creek 2 Surface Mine, Omar, West Virginia National Award: Cloud Peak Energy Spring Creek Mine, Decker, Montana Good Neighbor Award: Thunder Basin Grasslands Prairie Ecosystem Asso- ciation (the award lists five current or former association members: Arch Coal, Cloud Peak Energy, Contura Energy, Kiewit Mining Group and Peabody) In addition, NIOSH awarded a Mine Safety and Health Technology Innovations Award to Peabody. % a w a r d s mestic coal prices "and certain domestic coal-fired utilities can be caught short on coal." Foresight, whose parent company is controlled by Ohio-based Murray Energy Corp., would like to enter 2018 with about 75% of its order book filled up. "That's where we approximately find our- selves right now, and I'd like to have that optionality, especially given what we're seeing in the export markets," Moore said. Foresight mines exclusively in Illinois, operating three long- wall mines and one room-and-pillar operation. For more than two years, the company's Hillsboro longwall mine in Montgom- ery County, Illinois, has been idled after an apparent combustion event in March 2015 led to elevated carbon monoxide levels. The federal Mine Safety and Health Administration earlier this year allowed Foresight to re-enter the mine and prepare it for possible reopening at some point. Moore said his company con- tinues to have access to Hillsboro's underground workings and is monitoring and evaluating existing conditions. Foresight is taking the necessary steps to attempt to recov- er the longwall mining equipment in place on the longwall face where active mining was going on at the time of the combustion event, he said. Foresight produced 5.3 million tons of coal in the July-Sep- tember period, up from 4.8 million tons a year earlier. Through the first nine months of 2017, the company produced 16.2 million tons, compared to 14 million tons during the same period of 2016. "Once again, our mines operate as the most productive un- derground mines in the country as measured on a clean-ton- per-man-hour worked basis," said Moore. "Foresight's operating mines ranked as the second, third and sixth most productive un- derground mines in the U.S.," generating 17.3 million, 14.6 mil- lion and 9.5 million tons per man-hour worked. Foresight recorded a net loss of $13.6 million in the third quar- ter, versus a net loss of $16.3 million in the second quarter of 2017. Peabody Honors Leadership in Clean Coal Technologies Peabody Energy has again recognized innovation in clean coal technologies among leading examples of coal-fired generating plants from the U.S., China, Japan and India with their Fourth

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Coal Age - DEC 2017