Coal Age

APR 2019

Coal Age Magazine - For more than 100 years, Coal Age has been the magazine that readers can trust for guidance and insight on this important industry.

Issue link: https://coal.epubxp.com/i/1112308

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 9 of 51

8 www.coalage.com April 2019 worldwide news Sasol Opens New Mine in South Africa Sasol offi cially opened a new colliery in Mpumalanga, South Africa, where it benefi ciates coal into high-value fuel and chemical products at world scale. Meaning "success" in Nguni, Impumelelo is one of three world- class mines Sasol has constructed in the last decade as part of its R14 bil- lion ($994 million) mine replacement program and includes Thubelisha and Shondoni. The inauguration was attended by Minerals Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe. With an investment of R5.6 billion ($398 million), Impumelelo will have the capacity to produce 10.5 million metric tons per year (mtpy). The colliery currently employs 1,760 people, most of them from nearby communities in Mpumalanga. "In addition to sustaining some 4,000 jobs, the new mines are critical to securing coal supply to Sasol Se- cunda Synfuels Operations up to at least 2050," said Sasol Joint President and CEO Bongani Nqwababa. A unique feature of the mines is the investment in technologically ad- vanced measures that Sasol has made to ensure the safety of its employees as well as the environment. "These include proximity-detec- tion systems on our trackless ma- chines, which warn and eventually stop the production machines from operating when a person or an object is too close," said Nqwababa. Another technology measure the mines have is an electronic-trigger LED fl ickering light system to enhance the underground safety precautions. This system visually draws miners' at- tention when there is movement in the roof. Other investments are in a variety of noise reduction technologies. Sasol is the third-largest producer of coal in South Africa with an output of some 40 million mtpy. Kameron Coal Hires in Anticipation of Full Donkin Mine Restart U.S.-based Cline Group's Kameron Coal subsidiary in Nova Scotia, Canada, has still not resumed full production at its Donkin underground mine on the Atlantic Ocean coast in Cape Breton, but it is hiring new underground min- ers for the day when that happens. Gardiner Mining & Resources, a local mining jobs recruiter, con- ducted a job fair for Donkin in early April, according to a newspaper ad announcing the job fair. Applicants were not required to have any mining experience, and that successful job seekers would receive training. The company did not indicate how many, if any, new miners were hired. Karen McPherson, a Kameron human resources offi cial, declined to discuss the hiring campaign, referring questions to company Vice President Shannon Campbell. He could not be reached for comment. Following a late December roof fall that idled the mine — it was Donkin's sixth roof fall since last September — the Nova Scotia Department of Labor and Advanced Education allowed Kameron in January to resume lim- ited production in a part of the mine not affected by the roof collapse. Shannon Kerr, spokeswoman for the department, said Kameron con- tinues to operate "under strict ground control conditions. We continue to provide feedback to Kameron Coal as they work to develop complete sets of plans, including the ground control procedure plan that would al- low Donkin mine to resume their full mining operation." She could not predict when that might be, however. Since early January, Donkin has been issued four compliance violations and six warnings by the department. Kameron acquired a 75% interest in Donkin in 2014 from Glencore. It purchased the remaining 25% stake in the project from Morien Resources, based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Donkin is estimated to have a 30-year life and eventually produce up to 3.5 million metric tons (mtpy) with 135 employees. Its 2019 output is expected to be around 1.8 million tons, both for seaborne shipments Sasol celebrates the opening of the Impumelelo Colliery in South Africa. Inset: Sasol CEO Steven Colin, Senior Vice President of Mining Operations Pierre Jordaan and Minister Gwede Mantashe.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Coal Age - APR 2019